Veterinary Medicine and Surgery is a certified Cat Friendly Practice through the American Association of Feline Practitioners.
What is a "Cat Friendly Practice?"
The American Association of Feline Practitioners encourages the best quality of veterinary care for cats. More cats are owned than dogs, however cats visit veterinarians much less often. There are several reasons that factor into this:
- Some cats do not travel well
- When away from home, some cats feel unsafe
- Cats in this situation can become hypersensitive to new sights, sounds, and scents
- Most cats enjoy the being alone and quiet
- Many cats can be highly susceptible to anxiety and stress
- Cats can be easily stressed by being surrounded by dogs and other cats
- Cats are sensitive and need to be handled carefully and respectfully
As a Cat Friendly Practice, Veterinary Medicine and Surgery meets the wide range of needs of cats in a veterinary practice setting. We at VMS:
- Understand the uniqueness of cat needs to help make visits more friendly
- Understand how to handle cats carefully and respectfully
- Have the appropriate equipment to be able to treat feline patients
- Meets a standard for the facilities of hospitalized felines
How can your cat benefit from visiting a "Cat Friendly Practice?"
- We make an effort to provide a calming environment, including a "cats only" waiting area and exam rooms to try to reduce unfamiliar sights, sounds, and scents
- VMS staff is trained to understand feline behavior and recognize specific cues as well as implement Feline-Friendly Handling Guidelines. We are continually being further educated on current feline standards and guidelines.
- We strive to make individual plans to meet each cats' unique needs